The immediate past National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Chief Olisa Metuh on Thursday said he was prepared to pay back his share of N400million out of the $2.1billion cash meant for arms. The cash was allegedly diverted to political purposes by the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) during the tenure of ex-National Security Adviser (NSA). But Metuh, who has been on trial in the past few months, said he has had enough of legal travails.
He said he had been in talks with the Ministry of Justice, the EFCC and other necessary bodies on how to refund the money and resolve the issue. The ex-PDP National Publicity Secretary came up with the offer in a statement through his counsel, Onyechi Ikpeazu (SAN). He said although the cash was released to him by former President Goodluck Jonathan, he did not know the source as at the time. He said since the EFCC presented a document on the source of the money in court, he had made up his mind to willingly refund the N400million.
He said: ” It was however while in court that a document was brought regarding the source of the money and since then, our Client has made manifest his willingness to refund the money and has indeed approached his family, friends and associates to mobilise funds to refund the entire N400 million to the government regardless of the fact that the money had been expended based on the directives of the former President and that part of the money had been recovered from one of the prosecution witnesses.”