Frenkie de Jong “wants to stay” at Barcelona despite interest from Manchester United, says the club’s president Joan Laporta. The Premier League side agreed a £63.5m deal for the Netherlands midfielder, 25, last month, but the move is yet to be finalised.
De Jong came on at half-time and scored in Barcelona’s 6-0 friendly win over Pumas UNAM on Sunday. “He is a Barca player of great quality and we want him to stay,” said Laporta. “He has offers but we want him to stay and he wants to stay too.” De Jong has been linked with a move to Chelsea, but is also a key target for new Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag, whose side lost 2-1 at home to Brighton on Sunday in his first game in charge.
Reports have suggested Barcelona want De Jong to take a wage cut should he remain at the Nou Camp, amid the club’s financial troubles. The club are currently involved in a disagreement with De Jong over wages deferred by the Dutchman in the last couple of years which are now due to be paid.
Barcelona have so far spent over £120m this summer on new signings Robert Lewandowski, Raphinha and Jules Kounde, with Andreas Christensen and Franck Kessie arriving on free transfers. Meanwhile, Chelsea’s Spain left-back Marcos Alonso is also close to joining the club.